Read Mark 4:10-12
- Is there anything about the chapter you did not understand?
- What is the point of this chapter?
- What does it reveal about whom God is/His attributes?
- Is there a command which I am to obey? If so, what?
- Is there an example to follow? If so, what?
- Is there a promise of God to His people? If so, what?
- Are there specific sins to be avoided? If so, which?
- How can this passage be applied to my life?
- What are the different narratives (eg. stories), in this chapter?
- Look at Mark 4:10-12. In this chapter all but one section is dedicated to Jesus teaching parables to the crowd. In the chapter is the one time Jesus not only explained the parable but also gave the purpose for teaching in parables. What do you think a parable is? Why do you think Jesus taught in them? What is the reason Jesus said that he taught in them? (eg. v. 11-12). What did Jesus mean? Jesus was teaching in parables to give illustrations/examples of the point he was teaching. Just like how I (Dan), teach you in Sunday School or Adventure. When I am trying to explain a concept in scripture I use and example to explain it to you. Jesus is stating here if you do not understand the parable then you will not understand the message behind it. He is trying to teach simply so his audience will know the message of the Gospel behind in parable. Now we may have a hard time understanding some of the parables in the Bible because we are not part of the same culture as they were, but when we understand the cultural context of the parable, the meaning of the parable becomes clear.